This blog provides encouragement to people who are beginning training, returning to training, going through physical therapy, or recovering from injury. I'm not selling anything here, I just like giving, and getting, encouragement!

Why I, personally, don't like using a personal trainer


Personal trainers are great. I myself have been a personal trainer (not for fitness, but for software) and I know that's it's great to have someone right there showing you exactly what to do, watching out for bad technique, reinforcing excellent technique. But my learning style is different.

And that's where you start, with your own personal learning style. Some people learn best in a classroom, some people learn best in a group, some people learn best from a book, the list goes on and on. I can only tell what what I like, and what works for me. I'm best on my own, with an expert handy to ask questions as needed. And that's why I like the Fitness Center at my community college.

Wow, this sounds like a commercial! No, it's not, I'm just saying that if someone recommends something to you, that you have to look at what works for you, and nobody else but you. I'm one of those people who likes to go off in a corner and do my own thing. When I'm sure that I'm doing the right thing, that is. And that's why I like to surround myself with experts (including books and videos), listen attentively, and then go do it. If someone is standing next to me the whole time, or if I'm in a group, I find that a distraction. That's just me. Maybe it's because I spent so many years as I teacher that I do my best work when I'm alone, and able to focus. Around people, I go into "conversation mode", which just gets in the way of a good workout for me.

So there you go. If you're an "off in the corner" kind of person, then a personal trainer isn't for you. Off in the corner people like me have tremendous confidence that what they're doing is correct, and they're mostly refining their technique, or applying something they just learned. Of course, there are "off in the corner" people who are just plain doing everything wrong, and just hurting themselves. They need a personal trainer. If you're not absolutely, positively, double-dog sure that you're doing the right thing, go get a personal trainer.

All that matters is what works for you.


Image at the top of this post: The Sergeant Mobile Personal Training. Used with permission
Post a Comment