This blog provides encouragement to people who are beginning training, returning to training, going through physical therapy, or recovering from injury. I'm not selling anything here, I just like giving, and getting, encouragement!

Volume training for six-pack abs


I just love gimmicks, and learning something new. I recently discovered volume training, and while I'm not entirely sure what it all really means technically, to me it means doing a LOT.

If you want your muscles to grow, you have to ask a LOT of them. Just picking up a spoon won't give you those bulging biceps. You know that. But, oddly enough, just picking up a huge weight a couple of times won't do much in the way of building muscle, either. So the trick is to find the exactly place in-between. And that's where volume training comes in.

The major drawback to volume training is that it's dull. Instead of lifting a heavy weight, you stay light, and continue moving until the muscle starts to burn. It may be twenty reps or more, so you have to be patient.

At the Fitness Center, I like to let my mind wander as I begin my first volume set. I start with a ridiculously light weight, and just "go through the motions". Strict movement, different pace (fast and slow), that kind of thing. Then I increase the weight just a bit. I don't count reps, because at this point it's like 20-30. If you've never tried this, I recommend it. It really pumps the blood into the area being trained.

And if you're wondering if training your ab muscles is any different, believe me, it's not. Muscles are muscles. And don't get confused here - when you do ab work, you're building muscle, not burning fat. Those little squares of muscle in there respond to work the same way you biceps do, with training, and focus.

Don't count reps. Keep going. Listen to your body. Are you feeling it in the right place? Then stay there. Feel the burn deep in the muscle. Don't stop. Building muscle takes this kind of training. Volume!
Post a Comment